At Hellgate Plumbing, we want our customers to take any steps necessary to keep their HVAC system running properly during the cold months. Here is a list of things you can do to help increase your HVAC life expectancy:
1. Purchase a better filter: There are new, high efficiency filters that have the capability of grabbing the smallest particles, including bacteria.
2. Replace the filter frequently (every few months): If the filter looks dark or clogged, you should change it. It is possible it needs to be changed more frequently if you have pets (monthly). Checking the filter every month would be an easy task to ensure a longer life span for your HVAC system.
3. Carbon monoxide detectors: Having these in your home is an extra step you should take to keep your family safe. If you get one of these detectors, make sure you change the batteries once every year.
4. Heat pump maintenance: In order to keep your heat pump well maintained, make sure there is at least 2 feet of clearance around the pump. Additionally, remove any debris (leaves, twigs, etc.) found on or around the heat pump, and make sure the unit is level on the ground.
5. HVAC system strains: To avoid unnecessary strain on your HVAC system, please do not close more than 20% of your home’s registers.